Friday, October 03, 2003

reminiscing --- college days

my past two entries have been about remembering. i've decided to add to them and reminisce about the good times and some not-so-good ones. i don't know how many entries i would be alotting for this but i am making this my first.

i remember...

*the time when i enrolled in UP for my first semester in college. i didn't know what block to choose until i saw jenp lining up for G9 and decided to enlist for the same block. at least, i thought, i would know someone from the very first day. little did i know that would be one of the best decisions i ever made. college became so memorable and a lot of fun because of my G9 blockmates!

*my first day in college. i went with ate and stayed in their tambayan in econ. we were playing cards and were enjoying so much i was almost late for class. i had to run so fast and up 10 flights of stairs (got lost twice -- 3 floors each) until i finally arrived at our classroom. lo and behold! it was a roomfull of guys (and a just a handful of girls). i was so shy then, i didn't know what to say to my seatmate. the handful of girls became an advantage, however, because we had an instant barkada! (i distinctly remember it was rona who first called me by my new nickname... kat)

*the time i was depressed because of my grades. it was buboy who gave me encouragement and advice that time. he said that maybe it was time for me to think about what i want. if i do decide to shift to another course, it would not mean that i would become a lesser person. and i if i do decide to stay, that they were there to help me through. i still have that letter with me.

*our block parties. we always had them at carl's home. we haven't left college then but we were having reunions already. :)

*our ERG days. i still believe that ERG was the starting point of our college barkada. memorable moments were talent shows, EEE days and engineering weeks. one of the most memorable times was when we went to makati during marc's birthday.

*the time when we had a "drinking session" in tia maria's. myn, jenp and i just decided to go and have a drink. that was the time when we were the only girls (plus ginia who we missed dearly then) who didn't have boyfriends in our barkada. hahaha! guess who's the only one left now? :)

*overnights at NEC because of our thesis. i was actually just playing x-boing during that time, serving as the cheerleader for aids, loklok and jen. we would sometimes go out at dawn to buy some food -- with ginia and aids doing a duet from the fourth floor.

*the time i decided to be a USC volunteer because i had a crush on somebody in the council. the stupid reason did me good because i met a lot of friends, did my share of community service and was the starting point of my "political career". my memorable people in the USC? barry, perci, jing, germy, sally, ryan, mel, cielo, glenn and leah. miss you guys!

*my ESC days. there might be times when there was political rivalry in the upper levels of the council but where we were, we were all happy. the most memorable times for me were our planning sem in taytay (i distinctly remember dhoyz singing and playing a mean guitar) and the swimming session we had in los banos (would never forget the sharing session along with a shot of tequila). there were so many happy memories and a lot of special people that i remember because of ESC.

*the time when i had a huge fight with joel u. it was probably one of the worst misunderstandings i had with a friend. we eventually patched things up (thank goodness!). i was so touched when he chose me to be one of those who would speak about him during his graduation party. "pearl jam" will always be one special person to all of us. hehehe! ;)

*"kilig" moments with my crushes. only my friends know who they are. hahahaha! :) to you guys, thanks for the inspiration. :)

*graduation. my only claim to fame? i am the first proclaimed female graduate of computer engineering from UP. (it just so happened that my surname comes before jen)

there are a million more memories that would make me smile when i think of them. and special people that would always have a place in my heart. i've always said that my college days were some of the best years of my life. and since my life is still intertwined with those of the friends i've made then, i know that i would still have more wonderful memories to come. :)

1 comment:

Gilthanas said...

kat! USC days! naaalala ko pa kung sinong crush mo nun! hahaha.

ako i'll never forget the time you wrote me a letter when i was heartbroken. i'll never forget you for that. =)