Friday, July 28, 2006

trying to get out of my shell

i've always known myself to be an introvert. although i really have to ask my parents and my other relatives if indeed i was, even when i was a child. i distinctly remember my aunt telling me that i would prefer to be in my room, reading than going out and joining a party. between my parents, i think i may have gotten this from my mom. my dad is clearly not an introvert. he always seems to know everyone at a gathering and if not, he would probably do by the time the party ends.

there are times, though, that i put on this extrovert facade for work. i've been the contact in asia for one of the applications that we implement for our client and this involves extensive networking on my part. i've had to talk to people way up in the corporate ladder, plant managers and loads of contacts from different places. and i think i've done well on those instances. so now, the only question is how i can put up my extroverted face when meeting new people outside of work.

i was talking to my cousin bea via ym last week and we've touched on this subject. i told her i was actually envious of the way they (she and her siblings) can easily interact with people. even at this age, i still have a hard time starting a conversation with people i meet or even those that i know but not close to. with friends, it's a different matter. although when you're in a foreign country, you would need to talk to someone new before you can befriend them, right?

this is one of the reasons why i decided to volunteer as an usher in the tennis tournament here in cincinnati. it's the western and southern financial group masters and women's open. of course, i wanted to watch the games for free but i could have simply bought tickets the way i originally meant to. i figured i might meet some new people while i enjoy watching the games. and i did. all of my new acquaintances are way older than i am and i found it to be fun talking to them. they were surprised to learn that i don't play tennis and have been convincing me to take up the sport (since almost everyone plays). i am thinking about it although it's probably going to be difficult to play once i go back home and have no one to play with. other than this, i've not done anything else to "expand my horizons" and meet new people. i've been keeping to myself the way i always have.

someone once told me that i was the serious one in the group (this group being me, irish, rose and martha). i think on groups i am part of, this is the case most of the time. and i guess i'll never be the life of the party or the one that keeps the conversations going but i am trying to find a spot in between. for the mean time, at least.

7 comments:

sheila said...

good luck sa plans mo! there's nothing like being in a foreign country to expand your limits. :)

kat said...

hi sheila! speaking from experience ba ito? :) nasa pinas ka na ba ulet? been reading your blog and it seems you had a really great time in toronto. :)

booboo said...

wahhh. so sipag sa blogging. kulang lng yan sa bungisngis na ngiti. hating gillette by the minute. when are you coming home?

sheila said...

yup, nasa pinas na ko.

speaking from experience yan! i had the time of my life in toronto, i guess part of it is having the freedom to go wherever life (or chance) takes you.

and i did meet a lot of wonderful people without even planning to. yun nga lang, the only downside is ang hirap when you have to say goodbye! :(

kat said...

sol, ngayon na nga lang ako nagsipag ulet. super busy kasi sa gillette, laspag na paguwi. hehehe! :)

going home soon for my last interim trip. peste kasi ang u.s. embassy, hindi binigyan ng visa ang nanay at kapatid ko. ako tuloy ang uuwi.

elapot said...

uy! maganda yan kat!
enjoy tennis! ako di ko kaya yun parang super bigat nung raketa e.. pero sbi naman ni shepot masaya naman daw e

kat said...

raf, nag-try kaming mag-tennis kahapon. mukha kaming tanga. hahahaha! :D wala kasing marunong sa amin kaya walang nangyayari sa amin. :P